Tuesday 3 January 2012

Illamasqua Skin Base Review

If you are an avid blog reader like myself, you'll have had to be living under a rock all year to miss the hype surrounding Illamasqua's latest offering, their Skin Base Foundation.  I have finally managed to get my little mitts on it during my trip to Manchester...


Here's what Illamasqua have to say about it:

"Inspired by the cult Asian market Beauty Balm creams, Skin Base Foundation is a brand new, refined formula unlike anything on the UK market. Easily blendable, it effortlessly creates a perfect complexion, and like the entire Illamasqua foundation range, is undetectable in a professional HD environment. Suitable for all skin types, it smoothes, softens and conditions your skin whilst providing natural, buildable coverage."

First of all, I really like the packaging.  I've been using Mac Studio Fix Fluid in NC25 for the past 5 years and it is refreshing to have a squeezy bottle rather than faffing about with pumps which inevitably caused me to use more product than I needed.  Good start Illamasqua!

The foundation itself is more fluid than Studio Fix Fluid which is one of the reasons I decided to try something new.  This spreads like a dream meaning you barely need to use any of it.  I also felt that it blended to and matched my skin tone all over my face.
I'm using SB06


So, here is a little before and after shot! (The light is brighter in the second photo, I haven't gone three shades paler!)

As you can see the coverage is natural and super flattering.  It evens out all my blemishes and red spots as well as giving a gorgeous healthy sheen. I. LOVE. IT!
It feels soft on my skin and has a pleasant smell when applying (small joys!).
As I occasionally get an oily T zone I set the foundation with a little powder on my forehead but otherwise it wasn't necessary.
If you're not lucky enough to live near an Illamasqua counter then you can buy it online here.  And they also offer a really handy Shade Comparison Chart with other Foundations on the market, here.

Overall all I can offer is a positive review (as one might expect from every blogger known to man making this their foundation of choice...!).  And here's the full effect + my usual day to day makeup...


Just another quick note, I purchased my foundation at Selfridges in Manchester and the girl who served me was just so lovely and helpful and even popped it on plus some blusher for me, go and give her a visit!  (Hi Sophie and thank you!)

So, have you given this one a go?


4 comments:

  1. I love that you've commented in the customer service! I hope the shop assistant sees this and it makes her smile x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!
    She really was so sweet, I hate it when someone is doing your makeup and the conversation is stilted but she was just really lovely and interesting. Which made the Skin Base even better!
    Fi
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try this foundation but I never got around doing so. This is such a lovely review. I'll definitely try to give it a go. Great post (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!
    I'm still absolutely loving it, couldn't encourage you to try it more!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete