Thursday 15 September 2011

Cath Kidston Inspired Nails

Since I love my Models Own polish in Grace Green so much, I couldn't resist using it in a tutorial!  As a baking enthusiast my kitchen is litered with Emma Bridgewater and Cath Kidston, including a lovely green apron that my friend Sam gave me for my 21st!  Using this as inspiration I created these lovelies and I cant stop looking at them as I type away...






The good news is, it's so much easier than it looks!


Here's what you'll need:



A base coat and a top coat: I'm using Nails Inc Kensington Basecoat Caviar and Albert Bridge Topcoat.
A base colour: I have used Models Own in Grace Green but this looks just as good with pastel blues or pinks.
A light pink shade for the roses: I've used Barry M Nail Paint in Bright Pink
A darker pink shade for the petals: I've used Topshop Nails in Paint It On
A green shade for the leaves: I've used Topshop Nails in Beyond the Sea
A blue shade for the small flowers: I've used Models Own in Feeling Blue

If you have a white nail polish, you can easily use this but I have used the Andrea Fullerton Stripe and Sparkle pen in Kathleen:



You will also need a kirby grip, opened out:


This is what you will use, dipped into the polishes to create your design!

Start by putting on your base coat and your chosen background colour:


Next, take your white nail pen (or using the kirby grip) draw two stripes along 2 of your nails and cloud shapes on the other three.  Put polka dots along the outside of each shape.


Dip the kirby grip into the lighter pink shade.  Draw large rose shapes onto the clouds and put dots along the stripes.


Next, take the dark pink and put lines inside the large rose shapes to resemble petals.  On the lines, add more dots.


Finally, use the dark green to add leaves to the roses and put more dots along the stripes, slightly on the outside to make them more like leaves.  Use the blue polish to add more flowers to the stripe.


Finish with a glossy topcoat, making sure you leave enough time for it all to dry.
And there it is. A Cath Kidston style manicure.

What do you think?  Will you be giving this a go?



5 comments:

  1. Very detailed and unique! I'd love to be able to have the patience (and a steady hand!) to do this! Beautiful job :)

    Your blog is wonderful also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much!
    honestly is really is easy. It doesn't have to be neat to look good. that's the beauty of it!
    Fi
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!! I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, fab idea x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first tutorial I've seen that's made it look so simple! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem.
    Nail art can be a scary prospect but it really is easy, just takes a little patience!
    Hope it goes well
    xxx

    ReplyDelete