Tuesday 13 September 2011

Review: Topshop Smoke and Mirrors Lipsticks

Whilst having my obligatory daily Topshop browse (I feel a bit like I should attend some kind of Topshop Addicts meeting!), I saw their new make up launch for Autumn, Smoke and Mirrors.  Inspired by the early seventies, the range features an eyeshadow palette, a highlighter, mascara, eye liner and lipsticks in rust, pink and smoky greys which capture the glossy 70s vibe.  I fell in love with the light pink "Pillow Talk" as soon as I saw it but it was sold out online.  Luckily a few days ago I wandered in to the Nottingham branch and there it was, next to the Adele inspired "Rumour has it" and I had to have both!



Here's what Topshop has to say about the lipsticks:
"Velvet finish lipstick to smooth, moisturise and nourish lips. Apply for fabulous colour and moisturised, matte finish, wear alone or with gloss for a shiny finish"
The first thing I noticed when applying was the gorgeous vanilla scent, closely followed by how creamy and moisturising they were.  The coverage is good, as is the level of pigmentation.  I'm not sure I'd call it a matte finish but I prefer a shine so I'm happy!  Over all, I LOVE THEM.
Despite thinking that I would prefer the pinky shade of Pillow Talk, I think I prefer Rumour Has It.  It's nothing like any other lipstick I've used before and it really compliments my skin tone.  It's going to look great with the AW 40s vibe as an alternative to red lips.
I've read quite a few reviews from bloggers complaining about the price and the variations in packaging when Topshop bring out limited editions etc but I think what we all have to remember is that Topshop is primarily a fashion brand.  You pay to have on trend colours and packaging which reflects their 70s theme and I think it's all the more exciting to have a nicely packaged treat every once in a while!

What do you think? Do you rate Topshop make up and how do you feel about limited editions?
Until next time,


1 comment:

  1. I really want to try Topshop makeup, especially those lippies :)

    Love Christine ♥

    ReplyDelete